Friday, August 19, 2011

Do it Yourself: Framed Fabric

For the three years we've lived in our little apartment, I've had 3 plates hanging on the wall in the kitchen. I love the idea of plates hanging on a wall. I ripped out a page from a magazine several years ago with plates that had various shades of green and gold hung on the wall. But in that case, as in most, there are several plates involved. For example:


Awesome, right?

But, I don't have that many plates right now. It's something you've got to work at over time. (grin)
Hand picking just the right combination of plates from various estate sales and thrift stores till your collection just can't keep itself off of your walls!

You can see my measley attempt at a wall hang in the corner of this picture. 


And again in this picture...


Ok, let's be honest. I just wanted to show you my sweet husband in a pretty apron. :)
One more time...


Haha. Well played, baby. Well played.

ANYWAYS...I have three plates. 
They aren't pretty, hand-picked estate sale plates, and I need the big one to serve deliciousness in from time to time.  

So they had to come down.

I needed something else. Something that would go in the plate holders that I'd already screwed into the wall. (Sorry, facilities!) Something, cheap, quick and round...

Embroidery hoops + Pretty fabric = cheap, quick and round!

I can't recall where I originally saw this idea, but I've wanted to try it for a while.

Here's the quick how to:

#1 Pick out some pretty fabrics. I just grabbed a couple of the small fabric quarters at Joanne's. 
I think they were something like .99 a piece. 


Then I picked up some embroidery hoops at a thrift store, ranging from 50 cents to a dollar a piece.


I laid each hoop on the selected fabric, and then cut a generous square out. 
Then I placed the fabric in the hoop, stretched it taut, and tightened the hoop down. 


I then flipped the hoop over, and cut the excess fabric off with a sharp pair of fabric scissors. 


Flip it over. 
Done! 


I feel silly even making a tutorial. Ha! 

Aaaaaaand, put it on your wall! 
Ding!





This whole process took...abooooout...15 minutes. Tops. 
Cheap. Quick. Effective. 

For more ideas on what you can do with embroidery hoops and 
fabric (like use it as a pinboard!), check out some of these creative crafts on Etsy!

:)

2 comments:

Chelleboogie said...

You're adorable! I love this! Can I come over and have a artsy fartsy party with you! :)

Kimberly Anne said...

This is what I'm putting up in our nursery... great minds think alike!! :)