Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mountain Top Getaway = The Perfect Day

The month of February was seriously...insane. It felt like it was never, ever, ever going to end. Never ever. 

When it finally did, Mr. Suhr and I were ready to celebrate! For us, a getaway means a quick trip up the mountain to either Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear. We threw our skis in the car and headed out! After a quick stop at Chick-Fil-A (the most amazing chicken biscuits) I slept the whole way up the mountain. Mr. Suhr was a good sport. :) We reached the top, found the hill, did the whole changing in the parking lot thing, and ski-boot walked to the bottom of the mountain. (Ski-boot walking is probably some of the most awkward walking ever)

I was a little nervous, as it had been a year since I'd last skied. We took a couple of easy slopes at first till we got our legs under us, and then we went big! Here's a picture of us halfway down one of the California Double Black Diamonds. (I say California Double Black, 'cause it's more like a Colorado Intermediate)



We had a great view of Big Bear Lake. 


We ended up only skiing at Bear Mountain, even though there was a free shuttle to Snow Summit, another mountain close by. The day flew by, though, and we didn't want to waste anytime on shuttles. We were told that Snow Summit was more of a ski hill, and Bear Mountain for the snowboarders, so we'll have to go back. We did go down a hill at one point and end up face to face with a Half Pipe and a Super Pipe. At first I was thinking, "No way am I going down that thing." A little 'cause I was super nervous, and a little 'cause I thought we'd get made fun of by all the Snowboarders. But we ended up jumping in to the Super Pipe and trying to get as high on the sides as we could without feeling like we were just going to fall over. I was surprised at how fast you end up going on those things! Yikes! We probably went through the Super Pipe a total of 5 times and it may have been my favorite part of the day. :) 

We also did some little jumps. I've never left the ground on my skis unless I was tumbling down the mountain in total yard sale fashion. But I got a little confident this run and we went over a couple little jumps and I got a little air action! It was so fun! True, I did biff it a couple of times and had to yell back to Mr. Suhr to tell him I was down on the other side of the hill so he didn't land on me. :) But it was a total blast! 

Afterwards we went into the little town of Big Bear and got some DELICIOUS pizza from a little place called Saucy Mamas. We highly recommend it! I got a half BBQ Chicken, half Mushrooms/Chicken/Alfredo pizza and both were so good! Mr. Suhr got a wonderful meatsy pizza. We both had leftovers for the next day! 

We ended the day with a fun trip into the Sweets Shop in Big Bear. I don't think I've ever seen so many chocolate covered anythings. As Mr. Suhr would say, Jeepers Cats! I took a couple of pics 'cause I was just so so enamored. 





So good and so much to choose from. We ended up with a couple different kinds of fudge, both with the combo of chocolate and peanut butter of course. 

In my eyes, this was literally a perfect day. 
Thanks, Mr. Suhr. 

No comments: