Friday, March 4, 2011

Cake Class #2

So it's been a little busy. I missed Cake Class #2 due to being sick. Coughing up a storm. I made a cake but didn't get to decorate it. I'm not sure that I've ever made a cake before, so I can go ahead and mark that off of my list of things to do before I do. I used a basic box cake. Chocolate of course. :) 


After the cake baked and cooled, I cut it in half. Then I put a ring of frosting around the outside of one layer, to create a barrier. I then filled the inside of the barrier with chocolate pudding. You can put any kind of filling that you want on the inside.



Here's Lyndsey adding her icing barrier to her cake. 


Once the filling is added, you can put on the other half of the cake. In order to have a smoother surface to ice, you can use the bottom of the cake. Meaning, if you cut the cake in half, use the top half as the bottom, and the bottom half, flipped over, the side that was next to the pan, as the top. It's usually a little less crumbly. 

The next thing you want to do is do a crumb layer of icing. This is the pre-icing, to try and catch all of the crumbs in a first icing layer. It looks something like this: 


Once the crumb layer is on, let it dry for about 20 minutes. This will make the final layer of icing easier to apply, and should catch most of your crumbs, so they don't show up in the top layer.


Finally, you're going add the final layer of icing. You want to make it as smooth as possible. It's a little difficult and takes a lot more patience than I'm usually able to muster. I have ended up saying not nice things to my cakes both times I've tried to ice them. I guess I need to practice a little more. :)

No comments: