Saturday, April 16, 2011

Do It Yourself: Chalkboard

I finally finished a project! 
I'm not always the greatest at following through, and this project did take me a while. 
I started with a piece of galvanized metal, some primer, and chalkboard paint. 
I sanded the metal a little, I guess to take the smoother surface of it off? 
Not totally sure what the purpose of that was. Ha!
I started with a little foam brush, and switched to a regular paint brush. 


The regular paintbrush left some lines on the board.
So after the first coat, I switched to a foam roller.
I did three coats total and then let it dry. 


After searching for a square frame that fit my board for a couple of months, I finally found one. 
Marshall's. $10. And my piece of galvanized, chalk-painted, steel fit perfectly into the frame. Glorious.


It's a chalkboard. 
It's magnetic. 
And if you walk in our front door, you'll see it on our wall. 
Project complete. 

3 comments:

Mark, Lauren & Owen Burkey said...

i love it!!!

Sharon said...

Very cute! I love when projects finally come together.

Unknown said...

This is so cute! Oh my gosh, that's so awesome Beth. IKEA should start taking tips from you ;)