Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Mismatched Skiing

I've always been that person. 

Winter time came around, and the Harrisons were just never prepared.

We were the kids without the snow boots. We wrapped plastic bags around our socked toes and then stuffed our feet into our regular tennis shoes. It worked ok, but boy, it wasn't very stylish. (I wish I had a picture of us as kids to upload here)

Or the snow pants. Those things have always been hideous. Hand me downs or a pair picked up at the local Goodwill store. Outdated and ugly.

Gloves, Hats, Jackets...all a mismatch. Whatever you could find you threw together.

And skiis? Yeah right. Never owned a pair of those. Looked at a couple pairs one time with Dad at the Gift and Thrift, but decided maybe skiis from the 70's were a tad outdated and a little unreliable.

It's a weird thing to be on a ski hill and feel self-conscious. No one can see an inch of your skin. And yet, you feel like you're sticking out like a sore thumb. You definitely don't look like you belong there. Just a weekend warrior.

It may sound silly, and slightly materialistic...but even in snow gear I still want to MATCH! Is it the girl in me? Possibly.

Fast forward to the present. 

So there's a Christmas ski trip coming up in about a month for Garrett and I. Now Garrett...he's the gear guy. He's got the outfit all together. He always looks like such a pro out there. And this year...I'll be standing next to him tall and proud!

We just got a gently used pair of skiis for me off of ebay, and they have purple flowers on them! I have a basic black ski jacket. I'm looking for a used pair of grey (gotta color coordinate) ski pants that fit (not too short, not too baggy...). And I'll probably compliment it with a purple scarf/hat and some nice goggles. Notice, I'm still pretty ok with the used idea, as long as it matches!

Friends, I'm pumped.

2 comments:

Emily @ Live Renewed said...

Bethany!! I just found your blog! I can't believe I didn't know you had a blog. I love it! I love being able to read what going on in people's lives and "keep up" with them in a way. I'm really not good at the whole facebook thing.

How long have you been in California? I didn't even realize you lived there. And where are you working? Admissions again! That's sweet! I miss you friend, and am so glad that I found your blog!

Suhr-Real said...

Girl! I was so there too! I look back at pictures of us skiing as kids and it was like...really? You thought that was OK, Mom? :)
Too funny! Now I do the same things with my kids. It doesn't snow enough here to keep current on the winter wear; so the one time we do get snow they run out looking like misfits. Haa haaa :)